BREAKING: Stanford's Board of Trustees announces that it has chosen to remain invested in the oil and gas industry.
Our campaign won't stop until we win full fossil fuel divestment.
Press Contact: Michael Penuelas, (206)-218-4345
Over 500 students have signed a pledge to withhold their donations until Stanford fully divests from fossil fuels (you can too: click here) and 450 Stanford faculty have now signed a letter calling for divestment. This cannot wait. Join us!
Check out our video below for a recap of our sit-in in November!
To join the conversation, use #DivestStanford and #SitWithUs
"If we miss this chance to act when the world is most ready, we will have failed to do everything we could."
—Fossil Free Stanford
We ask Stanford University to:
- Immediately freeze any new investment in the top 100 oil and gas companies, ranked by carbon content of their proven fuel reserves, and,
- Divest within five years from direct ownership in those 100 companies and from any commingled funds that include their equities or corporate bonds
Unless those 100 companies publicly commit to:
- Only burning 20% or less of their reserves, which the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has agreed is the maximum before we hit "dangerous anthropogenic interference with our climate system"
- Stop seeking new fossil fuel reserves, given that they already control five times the resources we can afford to burn
- Stop actively lobbying against national legislation and international agreements that would limit GHG emissions